Friday, March 6, 2009

Just say watermelon, watermelon, watermelon


In college I was a music major, although looking at my current career you'd never guess it. We performed all kinds of operas, musicals and operettas. (can you tell I was a singer?) Sometimes in these shows everyone on stage is supposed to look like they're really involved in an important discussion, or there's a big group on stage reacting to the storyline with an outburst of conversation.

Know what they're saying?

Watermelon.

I think I may now have my rights as a musician stripped away for revealing the secrets of our organization. I hope you appreciate this sacrifice.

I'm willing to turn my back on the establishment because I'm lonely-for-music and I'll take any attention I can get at this point from the music world. Korea isn't exactly a thriving environment for opera singers. Plus, I've been typecast my whole singing career. Let's see if you can figure out why:

::Heard every time I ever sang for anyone for the first time:: "Oh my! You have such a big voice for such a small girl!"

My roles: Gretel (as in Hansel and Gretel), Little Red Riding Hood, various children when I really wanted to play the lead already!

Yes, I'm small. I'm not one of the 'little people' or anything, but others might disagree with that statement. No one ever wants to have a Susanna whose head only comes up to Figaro's nipple.

Humph.

No comments: